The theme of World Environment Day 2020 is “Celebrate Biodiversity.”
Biodiversity is all forms of life on earth and its interactions: several levels, genes, species, communities of creatures, entire ecosystems, and all the physical environment. Do you know? Even a small bee or worm is crucial and has its importance in Biodiversity. Most often, Biodiversity is related to the richness of species. Thus the loss of any species considered as the loss of Biodiversity.
We’ll talk about it more and why Biodiversity is the theme of World Environment Day this year. But before that, check out some new posts:
What is Global Warming? | Causes and Effects
Renewable and Non-renewable Resources With Examples
Now let’s see why protecting Biodiversity is essential in 2020.
Why is Biodiversity Important?
- Around 40 percent of the world’s economy is dependent on Biodiversity
- 80% needs of the poor are derived from biological resources
- Biological resources like food, pharmaceutical drugs, breeding stocks, etc. are essential for human beings
- Each species no matter how small plays a crucial role in Biodiversity
- A healthy ecosystem provides clean water resources, nutrient storage, pollution absorption, and soil protection.
Loss of Biodiversity
|Natural Causes||Man-made Causes|
|Destruction of natural habitat through floods and volcanic eruption||Climate change through global warming|
|Natural climate changes or drought||Land, air and water pollution|
|Newly introduced species disease||Degradation caused by deforestation and poor land use|
Impact of Biodiversity Loss
According to WHO, “Biodiversity loss can have significant direct human health impacts if ecosystem services are no longer adequate to meet social needs.” Let us move ahead to know-how:
- The growing loss of Biodiversity is harming the whole ecosystem. It could mean that we are losing many genes and chemicals without even discovering them.
- Biodiversity loss can also affect nutritional value in our food since Biodiversity and nutrition are linked at many levels.
- Sudden climate change can disrupt the natural ecological balance. Thus it causes wildfires, volcanic eruptions, extinction of species, and so on.
- According to the 2019 report by Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services, around 1 million animals and plant species are facing extinction due to human activities.
Economic Importance of Biodiversity
The pharmaceutical sector earns around $640 billion from genetic resources, which is a part of Biodiversity.
An estimated 40% of world trade depends on biological products and processes.
So these were some important factors related to Biodiversity that you must know. Besides this, if you need more help related to the topic, get instant online assignment help from our experts.
With 1 million species facing extinction, there has never been a more important time to focus on Biodiversity – HAPPY WORLD ENVIRONMENT DAY!