Most of us have no issues when it comes to using language linguistically. But we find it difficult to dig profound grammatical errors. Thus today, we’ll help you in understanding words that sound alike that are alliteration. So what is an alliteration? Let’s learn more about it.
Before moving ahead, also read our latest posts:
Alliteration is a word that describes a literary device in which a series of words start with the same consonant. Some examples of alliteration are:
It is an alliteration because the sounds are the same.
But look at the second example.
Although it begins with the same letters, it doesn’t sound the same. Thus it is not alliteration.
Common Examples of Alliteration
Some famous examples of alliteration are:
Selly sells seashells by the seashore.
Allie likes all alliterations.
Importance of Alliteration in Literature
Alteration occurs mostly in poetry due to rhythmic and musical qualities.
It can shape poetry’s moods through soft and hard sounds.
It focuses on readers’ attention on a particular section of text.
Some examples of alliteration in literature:
Peter Peer picked a pack of pipes.
The fair breeze blew, the white foam flew,
The furrow followed free;
How to Identify Alliteration
For finding alliteration in any type of sentence, sound out the sentence. Read the following sentences to help you identify alliteration:
- Bob’s beagle barked and bayed, becoming bothersome for Becky.
- Jackrabbits jumped and jiggle.
- Seven sisters speak soundly.
- Timmy took tons of tools to make toys.
In each of the above examples, alliteration occurs in words having the same starting sounds. Here is purposeful overuse of alliteration, but the following are some points to remember:
- Not every word in a sentence has to be alliterative.
- You can use prepositions, pronouns, and other parts of speech to maintain the overall alliteration effect of the sentence.
- There is no need to start words with the same letter to make them alliterative. But their sound needs to be the same. For example, Phoebe fell.
- Alliteration does not need to be in the entire sentence. Even a two-word phrase can be alliterative.
Thus if you are wondering what alliteration is? Then alliteration is a poetic device in which certain sounds are repeated at the beginning of the words. It can be effective in any sentence or phrase to provide rhythm or musicality. For more English assignment help, rely on us. We are 24*7 available to assist you.