The quiz is worth 30 points. There are 6 problems. This quiz is open book and
open notes. This means that you may refer to your textbook, notes, and online
classroom materials, but you must work independently and may not consult anyone
(and confirm this with your submission).
Show work/explanation where indicated. Answers without any work may earn
little, if any, credit.
1. Solve the following equation:
2. Solve the following inequality. Express your answer in interval notation.?
3. Do the points A(1, 2), B(6, 0) and
C(3, 6) form a right triangle? Justify
4. A farmer uses 300 feet of fencing to
make a rectangular pen. The farmer will
need fencing on only 3 sides because a straight river will serve as one side of
the pen (instead of fencing). The area
of the pen can be described by the following function: where x is the length of each of the two
sides of pen perpendicular to the river.
Find and interpret (with a picture) each of the following: A(60), A(80)
5. Graph the function from problem 4
and find the value of x that makes the area of the pen a maximum.
6. Given the graph of y = f(x) below
(on the left). Use transformational
techniques to graph (on the right) y = 5 – f(x + 2).