MN551-2:Apply knowledge of tissue and organ structure and function to physiologic alterations in systems and analyze the cause and effect relationship in response to disease.
Select one of the case studies below.In your discussion be sure to include evidence of your knowledge of tissue and organ structure and function to physiologic alterations in systems and analyze the cause and effect relationship in response to disease.
1. Make sure all of the topics in the case study have been addressed.
2. Cite at least three sources—journal articles, textbooks, or evidenced-based websites—to support the content.
3. All sources must have been written within five years.
4. Do not use .com, Wikipedia, or up-to-date, etc., for your sources.
Case Study 6
Blood Cells and the Hematopoietic System
Charlie is a 53-year-old man with non-Hodgkin lymphoma. His treatment has been only modestly successful in delaying the progression of the disease, and he has recently relapsed. His medical team decided to administer aggressive chemotherapy. Knowing that the intensive treatment would have a destructive effect on Charlie’s bone marrow, they removed stem cells from his blood before the chemotherapy began. Afterward, the stem cells were returned by IV to reestablish his bone marrow function.
1. What are the therapeutic advantages of an autologous stem cell transplant on Charlie’s bone marrow and immune system?
2. Before harvesting stem cells, a cytokine growth factor is administered to the patient. What is the benefit of this procedure?
3. Non-Hodgkin lymphoma is a disease involving B and T lymphocytes. What aspects of the immune response are these cells responsible for?
4. When considering erythrocytes, how is the body able to meet hematopoietic demand in conditions such as hemolytic anemia or blood loss?